Scenic USA - Pennsylvania

Saint Mary of the Mount

Scenic USA on Facebook

Scenic USA
on Facebook



Saint Mary of the Mount Church - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Photos by Ben Prepelka
Scenic USA Artist Website

   George Washington looked out over French built Fort Duquesne from a high bluff known as Coal Hill in western Pennsylvania in 1753. Virginia had sent the young surveyor to demand the French abandon their newly constructed forts along the Allegheny River. With a French refusal, Washington built a fort 60 miles to the southeast, Fort Necessity. After a brief skirmish, French reinforcements arrived and wiped out a quarter of Washington's men, forcing Colonial and British soldiers to surrender. The brief action was the beginning of seven years war in America.
   Today's Mount Washington still offers this bird's-eye-view of the fort (Fort Pitt) at the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers. Church interior - St Mary of the Mount, Pittsburgh, PA Saint Mary of the Mount Church, a historic landmark, overlooks the city where young Washington caught his first glimpse of the Three Rivers area.
   This fine example of Gothic architecture was completed in 1897. The historic St. Mary Church features a set of stained glass windows depicting a pictorial progression of the life of Christ. The extraordinary glass renovation took place over the period of ten years. St. Mary Church was originally designed for a bell tower and finally received the addition in 1999.

     Area Map


More Area Attractions


 

    Copyright © 2007-16 Benjamin Prepelka
    All Rights Reserved