Scenic USA - Illinois

Scenic USA offers a collection of select photographs from a wide variety of attractions, points of interest, historic sites, state parks and
national parks found throughout the United States. Each photo feature is coupled with a brief explanation.
For further detailed information, links to other related sites are provided.

Previous
Archives
Home
Next

St. James Church at Sag Bridge

St. James Church at Sag Bridge

Photos by Wei O'Connell
Wei's PBase Gallery

     Located on high ground above the Des Plaines River, St. James Church at Sag Bridge is one of the oldest churches in the Chicago area. First discovered by explorers Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet in 1673, the area didnít attract many settlers until the Illinois and Michigan Canal was completed. Established in 1833, a log cabin became the first St. James Church. Second generation farmers and settlers took Saint James Cemeteryon the task of creating a proper church building, creating the present church of Athens marble, and finishing the interior with wooden altars, trimmed in gold paint. Toiling for six years, the dedicated group of workers were rewarded with burial plots at the church cemetery. The first resident pastor arrived in 1882, and initiated a church addition for overflow of new church members.
     The Old Stone Church, as itís labeled on a Chicago map, received numerous changes and improvements over the years. In the 1990s, an ambitious effort to restore the church to its original look was undertaken. The marvelous restoration project was complete just in time for its 165th anniversary. Known locally as St. James, The Sag, this unusual name references the nearby Saganashkee Slough, one of the area's natural ponds adjacent the Calumet Sag Canal.


 

 

    Copyright ©2010 Benjamin Prepelka
    All Rights Reserved