Scenic USA - Maine

Doubling Point Lighthouse

Scenic USA on Facebook

Scenic USA
on Facebook



Doubling Point Lighthouse - Arrowsic, Maine

Photo by Betsy Kellenberger
Betsy Kellenberger Photography

   This delightful little lighthouse on the Kennebec River is dwarfed by the immense shipyard operations at the Bath Iron Works in the background. One of four lighthouses established during the late 1800s on the lower Kennebec River, the Doubling Point Light remained in service until the 1970s. When first built, the Doubling Point Lighthouse occupied a rock ledge at the eastern edge of the property. Lifted from its original foundation, the lighthouse was moved to its present location at the end of a long catwalk in the Kennebec River. During the mid 1930s the light-station was sold, except for the lighthouse itself, to private interests. When decommission came later, the Fresnel lens became an exhibit at the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland.
   Maine's past, as well as the present is steeped in the maritime trades. The Bath shipyard, founded in 1884, continues to be one of the largest private employers in Maine. Contracts range from WWI gunboats to the battleship Georgia. During the height of WWII, the shipyard cranked out a destroyer every 17 days.
   Thanks to the Friends of the Doubling Point Lighthouse for taking part in the necessary repairs and keeping the tower in such great looking condition. The foundation was replaced during the winter of 2000, as well as the walkway out to the lighthouse. Efforts continued, having the the Doubling Point Light Station listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

    Area Map


Additional Points of Interest


 

    Copyright © 2008-17 Benjamin Prepelka
    All Rights Reserved