Scenic USA - Ohio

Trumbull County Courthouse

Scenic USA on Facebook

Scenic USA
on Facebook



Trumbull County Courthouse - Ohio

Photos by Jack Ryan
Jack's Zenfolio Gallery

   Affectionately called by the nicknames of Stone Quarry and Rock Palace, the Trumbull County Courthouse reflects an age of prosperity just before the start of the 20th century. Designed by the architectural firm of LaBelle and French of Marion, Indiana, the courthouse design follows a Richardsonian-Romanesque style. Its bold stonework illustrates the origin of its nicknames and shows well for a century old structure.
   Once the cornerstone was set on Thanksgiving Day, 1895, the courthouse quickly took shape with huge building blocks cut nearby at a temporary mill. Clock Tower - Trumbull County Courthouse Built of Amherst sandstone, its eye-catching clock tower was covered with a copper roof, then finished with clockworks and a 1500 pound bell. The courthouse interiors, now restored to their former glory, eloquently match the building's handsome exterior. Following the Empire, Romanesque and Renaissance styles, oak wainscoting, oak furnishings, marble mosaic flooring and original fireplace mantlepieces are a few of the touches that create a dramatic interior.
   Named after Connecticut's Governor Jonathan Trumbull, the county was established in 1800 and named capital of New Connecticut, later called the Western Reserve. The only square county in Ohio, Trumbull County consists of 635 square miles, with seven cities and a handful of villages. The century old Trumbull County Courthouse was added to National Historic Register in 1974.

     Area Map


Additional Area Attractions


 

    Copyright © 2012-16 Benjamin Prepelka
    All Rights Reserved